Sharing one of my most favorite treat recipes today. Have you ever had DIY Oreos before? Well they are AMAZING. Like mind blowing amazing. This Homemade OREO recipe is the bomb!
They are my go-to treat when I have to contribute food to a function or event because they are always a hit. They are fudgey and taste incredible with the vanilla frosting in the middle!
My favorite thing about them…well they are made from a chocolate boxed cake mix. Holla!
You can make them plain or do as I do, and add lots and lots of sprinkles! Get the recipe below.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE OREOS
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE OREOS
- MAKE THEM SMALL! I’ve seen people making these cookies large like a regular chocolate chip cookie. I like to roll my dough balls pretty small, say one inch wide. It leaves the cookies bite size which I find PERFECT. They can be pretty rich and once or two bite sized cookies hit just right.
- WATCH THE CLOCK. It’s easy to overcook these cookies. I set the timer for 7-8 minutes and watch them closely. If they stay in the oven too long, they get crunchy and you lose that amazing fudgey texture.
- MORE IS MORE. This is personal preference, but I don’t skimp on the frosting! Because you have two cookies, you need ample frosting to get the cookie to frosting ratio just right.
- ADD SPRINKLES….ALWAYS I know I can be a little extra, but I add rainbow sprinkles to just about everything!
- 1 Box Devils Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2/3 Cup Crisco
- 2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 4 TBSP Melted Butter
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 1/2 TSP Vanilla
OREO COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS
Mix Chocolate Cake Mix, Crisco and Eggs in a mixture. The dough will be wet and sticky.
Roll into inch sized balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
Cook for 7-8 minutes. They will look undercooked, but they won't be!
Let cool completely.
Mix frosting ingredients together with a mixer.
Once the cookies have completely cooled, place a dollop of frosting on one side of a cookie and then top it with another.
Like this recipe, check out these Love The Day recipes!