Ice cream is my jam. It’s my favorite treat ever and I am PICKY! I don’t eat any old ice cream. A few years ago my husband and I decided to go on a quest for the best homemade vanilla ice cream recipe. We have tried SO, SO many over the years and recently we’ve begun taking the ingredients we liked from different recipes to come up with our own perfect recipe.
Well I am very happy to announce, that this past Sunday we figured it out. We discovered the WORLD’S BEST HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPE!
I’m not even going to be humble, this ice cream is the bomb. We totally nailed it. It’s so creamy and smooth and has the perfect amount of vanilla. Because the recipe includes eggs, it tastes almost like custard, but still has enough of the icy texture to be called ice cream. I’m so excited for you to try it! I just know you’ll love it.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM
TIPS FOR MAKING VANILLA ICE CREAM
- Use this electric ice cream mixer versus a hand crank mixer. It will save your arm and time. It’s awesome and cheap! We’ve had it for three years and it runs like a champ.
- Second, we’ve found the longer you ‘chill’ your ice cream mixture, the better the ice cream tastes. We try to chill our pre-mixed ice cream overnight and mix the next day. It leaves the ice cream SUPER creamy.
- Don’t stop whisking while you are making your cream/custard mixture. It can leave the ice cream lumpy and no one wants that.
- We like to place the ice cream in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before serving so it can harden a bit. This is completely unnecessary and depends on how you like the texture of your ice cream.
- The quality of your vanilla MATTERS!! Bakers vanilla leaves the ice cream tasting a little too sharp. We recommend Costco Vanilla. It has the perfect vanilla flavor for ice cream.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (WORLD'S BEST)
- 3 Cups Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1.5 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 8 Cups Whole Milk
Whisk together milk, cream cornstarch, salt, sugar in large sauté pan or pot.
Whisk egg yolks.
Add 1⁄2 cup of the milk/cream mixture to the egg yolks and whisk further.
Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the sauté pan with the remainder of the milk mixture.
Cook over medium-hi heat, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 hours.
Mix in vanilla extract to taste (Costco vanilla extract is excellent!)
Pour mixture into freezer container of your 1 gallon electric ice-cream maker and freeze with ice and 1 box of Morton’s Ice cream salt. Allow electric ice-cream maker to run until stopping and enjoy!
And that’s about it. Follow the instructions and you should have the most delicious ice cream ever! If you make it, let me know! I can’t wait to hear what you think. Or post it on social media using #LTDbakes.