Ice cream is my jam. Like my favorite treat ever and I am PICKY! I don’t just eat any ice cream. A few years ago my husband and I decided to go on a quest for the best homemade ice cream recipe. We have tried SO, SO many over the years and recently we’ve begun taking the ingredients we liked from different recipes to come up with our own perfect recipe. And I am very happy to announce, that this past Sunday we figured it out. We discovered the WORLD’S BEST HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPE! I’m not even going to be humble, this ice cream is the bomb. We totally nailed it. It’s so creamy and smooth and has the perfect amount of vanilla. Because the recipe includes eggs, it tastes almost like custard, but still has enough of the icy texture to be called ice cream. I’m so excited for you to try it! I just know you’ll love it.
A few tips, we use this electric ice cream mixer. It’s awesome and cheap! We’ve had it for three years and it runs like a champ. Second, we’ve found the longer you ‘chill’ your ice cream mixture, the better the ice cream tastes. We try to chill our pre-mixed ice cream overnight.
And that’s about it. Follow the instructions and you should have the most delicious ice cream ever! If you make it, let me know! I can’t wait to hear what you think. Or post it on social media using #LTDbakes.
3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch 1/2 teaspoon salt
8 cups milk
4 cup heavy whipping cream
6 egg yolk
Vanilla Extract to taste (~1.5 TBSP)
Ice Cream Preparation (*Makes ~1 Gal)
- Whisk together milk, cream cornstarch, salt, sugar in large sauté pan or pot.
- Whisk egg yolks well, add 1⁄2 cup of the milk/cream mixture above to egg yolks and whisk further, then add egg yolk mixture to sauté pan.
- Cook over medium-hi heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 hours.
- Mix in vanilla extract to taste (Costco vanilla extract is excellent!)
- Pour mixture into freezer container of your 1 gal. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze with ice and 1 box of Morton’s Ice cream salt.
- Allow electric ice-cream maker to run until stopping and enjoy!
And for more Love The Day treats, check out these posts: