I hope you are enjoying Watermelon Week here at Love The Day. Previous posts can be found here and here. I thought I would share how I created the Watermelon Ice Cream Cups served at the party. The ice cream is homemade Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream that I placed in scooped-out limes. This ice cream is a long-time family favorite and is made on the most special of occasions. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we do!
Flags seen can be purchased as part of my Watermelon Printable Collection.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe adapted from this recipe.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste*
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- 2 large Hershey’s with almonds chocolate bars
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 4. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.)
- *Vanilla extract may be substituted.
- Before transferring ice cream to a container for further freezing, stir in all maraschino cherry liquid and cherries (I like to cut in half). Chop up the Hershey bars and add as well.