It’s time! If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’ve been dying to paint my piano. It took weeks for me build up the courage, to determine the color and figure out exactly how I was going to do it. I watched oodles of tutorials and finally determined I wanted to paint the piano with FolkArt® Home Decor™ Chalk and I wanted it black. Now I initially wanted the piano a fun bright color because it’s all the rage, but when I looked around at my room, I knew that it needed to be black. My husband built me an elaborate coffee table and a bright piano would take away from its fabulousness. And I wanted to use the FolkArt® Home Decor™ Chalk because it required no prep work (no sanding and no stripping) and the paint can be layered, sanded and distressed. It also has a great ultra matte finish that can be waxed.
So today I reveal my painted piano! I love how it turned out, but I learned so much I wanted to share what I learned and what I would do differently.
1. Very first thing, wipe down the piano. Really, really well. Even the smallest speck of dust will be picked up with the FolkArt Paint and it’s nearly impossible to get rid of. I wish I would have done a better job of dusting before I began.
2. Tape off the keys. Those way more ambitious than me, take the piano apart and paint. I found that taping the keys really carefully worked great.
3. Start painting. Now this stuff is thick and goes really, really far. Two bottles of paint is more than adequate to paint the entire piano. I layered two coats, but I wish I would have done a third. It would have looked better when sanded.
4. Wait 24 hours for the paint to dry. I applied the wax about six hours after painting and I wish I would have waited a bit longer.
5. I started waxing with a paint brush, but didn’t like the way it left streaks. I switched to a rag and it looked a ton better. I applied the wax, let it dry and then shined like crazy. The more you wax, the shinier it gets.
*Disclosure–In accordance with the FTC Guidelines, I am disclosing that this is part of a Blueprint Social Media Campaign.